Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Healthy cookies? Is there such a thing?


I don't think I would say cookies are healthy, but it is certainly possible to make them healthier, and I discovered a pretty good version when my 4yr old came running home from playing at the neighbors, pleading with me to make cookies.  His friend next door was making a batch at his house, and of course he wanted to do it too.
I agreed, and decided it would be a fun challenge to see what kind of healthier cookie we could come up with quickly, using only ingredients which we had on hand.
I am not a baker, but knew I needed flour, oil, eggs (or something to hold them together),  some sort of sweetener, and of course something yummy for flavor.
Turns out that we ended up with a great cookie that my son and husband both liked, and I of course felt great because they were packed with whole grains and had no white sugar.

Win, Win!

So here is the recipe:

Whole Grain (Chocolate, Banana, Coconut, Cranberry) Cookies
( I chose banana, coconut and cranberries because those are my favorite, and always have them on hand, however you could certainly add chopped nuts, raisins etc...)

1/2 cup spelt flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup teff flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 banana (sliced)
2 eggs
3/4 -1 cup Sucanat
1/2 cup grain sweetened chocolate chips
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup coconut flakes
12-13 tbsp coconut oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


  1. In a pan heat the coconut oil over med heat so it melts, add Sucanat, and sliced bananas and stir them all together until melted and melded, and banana slices are soft.
  2. In a mixing bowl combine flour, and baking soda. Add oil/sugar/ banana mix, and then mix in eggs. Stir/ fold in chocolate chips, coconut and cranberries. (Our sugar/ oil mix was still so warm that it melted our c.chips giving our cookies a chocolate flavor and darker color, but no chunks - if you wanted your chips whole, try waiting for batter to cool slightly before adding them).
  3. Spoon scoops of batter onto a coconut oil greased cookie sheet and cook for about 15 min.
  4. Let cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment